Courtesy of: Co+op, stronger together
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: approximately 4
This tomatillo-based gazpacho is gorgeously green with a tart flavor that complements the sweet shrimp and salty olives. Make this meatless by substituting feta for the shrimp.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 English cucumber, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 avocado, halved and pitted
- 1 pound tomatillos, (see Tip), husks removed, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 15-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces cooked and peeled shrimp, chopped
- 1/4 cup green olives, chopped
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until just beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Coarsely chop half the cucumber and half the avocado and place in a food processor. Add tomatillos, bell pepper, jalapeño to taste and the garlic. Process until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in broth, sugar and salt.
- Dice the remaining cucumber and avocado and place in a medium bowl. Add shrimp, olives and scallions. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil; gently toss to combine.
- Ladle the gazpacho into bowls and top each portion with about 3/4 cup of the shrimp salad.
Serve with cheese quesadillas or some tortilla chips.
Tips & Notes
Tomatillos are tart, plum-size green fruits that look like small, husk-covered green tomatoes. Find them in the produce section near the tomatoes. Remove outer husks and rinse well before using.
327 calories, 18 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 793 mg. sodium, 18 g. carbohydrate, 7 g. fiber, 26 g. protein, 1 mg. added sugars
Posted by permission from StrongerTogether.coop. Find more recipes and information about your food and where it comes from at www.strongertogether.coop.