Total Time: 25 minutes
Patty pan squash is tossed in extra virgin olive oil and generously seasoned with salt, pepper, and sumac- Flash roasted in a hot oven. The summer squash is mixed with a classic Italian garlicky Gremolata. The dish is finished with a caramelized sweet and tangy hit of charred lemon adds excitement to this side. Roasted patty pan squash with Gremolata and charred lemons packs a punch making this a sensational side dish for just about any summer BBQ!
- 1 small bunch of flat leaf parsley, washed and dried (enough to make 1 cup loosely-packed)
- 1 clove garlic, papery skin removed
- 1 tsp of sea salt
- zest from two organic lemons (washed and dried)
Patty Pan Squash
- 1.5 lbs of Patty Pan Squash
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1.5 tsp of fresh cracked pepper
- 1/2 tsp of sumac
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 organic lemons reserved from zesting
- Prep the parsley by running a sharp knife along the stems and removing the leaves, enough to make about 1 cup when very loosely packed.
- Finely chop the parsley. It should be less than 1/2 cup.
- Using a Microplane grater, zest the lemons and grate the garlic directly over the parsley and mix. Set aside
- Reserve lemons for the squash.
Patty Pan Squash
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cut patty pan squash into quarters.
- Toss the squash in EVOO and add salt, pepper, and sumac and mix well making sure everything is evenly coated and well seasoned .
- Place the seasoned squash single layer into a roasting pan.
- Cut lemons in half and nestle the lemons cut side down along side the patty pan squash.
- Bake at 450° for 15-20 minutes or until squash and lemon is tender and lightly charred, stirring after 7 minutes.
- Immediately sprinkle the Gremolata over the roasted summer squash and plate.
Squeeze caramelized lemon over the dish right before serving.