Romanesco, also known as Roman cauliflower, is a strange-looking take on cauliflower. The swirly, fractal patterns that cover it may make it look like some sort of alien plant, but in fact it is very similar in texture to normal cauliflower. It is crunchier than normal cauliflower, and has a more subtle nutty flavor, which works perfectly with this dish!
- 1 head Organic Romanesco* (stem & leaves trimmed)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Organic Lemon (including zest)
- 2 cloves Organic Garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tbsp minced Organic Thyme
- 1 Shallot, sliced
- 3 sprigs Organic Thyme
- 1/8 tbp red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1/8 cup Montamore cheese* (you can sub with parmesan or leave out for a vegan dish)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lay whole romanesco head on a rimmed baking sheet. Tuck shallot slices and thyme into the romanesco
- Drizzle olive oil over the head. Rub garlic and lemon zest over it until evenly covered. Cut lemon in half and squeeze one half over the head. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add in the red pepper flakes.
- Cook on center rack for 40-50 minutes (longer if you want it to be more tender)
- Remove from oven. Squeeze remaining lemon juice over and sprinkle with cheese. Serve in generous wedges.