This whole recipe can be prepared for less than $2/serving
thanks to our Co+op Basics Program!
This hearty dish from Northern India is delicious and filling, and it serves four for less than $2 a serving!
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 2 carrots
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups kidney beans
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Prepare rice and set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add turmeric and ginger, cooking until fragrant.
- Add sliced carrots and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring often
- Add tomatoes, beans, and salt to taste
- Mix well and let simmer for 20 minutes
- Turn off heat, add garam masala, and stir well. Serve over rice.